Creative Interview : Andrew Joyce

Ziggy's been out and about scouting for creative people as he wants to find out all about who's behind the great work he's been looking about. He's also delighted that these talented artists, designers and makers have taken the time to answer a few questions. To start these weekly process Ziggy's delighted to introduce you to Andrew Joyce.
OK Andrew here goes .........


Tell us a bit about yourself and how you got started?   Well, I’m a freelance illustrator based in Bath and recently graduated in Graphic Communication from Bath Spa University. I guess that like most illustrators, I’ve been constantly drawing and doodling ever since I can remember. After finishing college though I wasn’t 100% sure of what I wanted to do I ended up going traveling for a few years. I eventually settled in Japan and it was during this time that I became fascinated with illustration and other illustrators work.


I would constantly look at websites and search for briefs that I could complete in my spare time.It quickly dawned on me that illustration was what I wanted to do and so, after a recommendation from a fellow illustrator, I decided to apply to Bath Spa University.I travelled back to the UK, pulled together a very dodgy looking portfolio and went to an interview. Luckily, they accepted me and now here I am three and a half years later!


What item could you absolutely not live without as far as your work goes?   I’m afraid it is something quite practical and boring......my scanner. It’s as essential to me as a sketchbook and pen.

Are you an early bird or a night owl worker?   Both! Right now I have a day job so I am finding myself starting a project first thing in the morning, going to work and then continuing it into the wee hours of the morning. It’s a bit of a groundhog day situation but I still love it. Being at work gives you time to think of new ideas and makes me want to rush back and get illustrating!


This might be difficult to answer but, right now, who is that one particular person who inspires you?  It’s difficult to nail it down to one person. I’m constantly bookmarking websites of illustrators, designers photographers etc. that I find interesting and inspiring in some way. (I’m always on the look out for new people so please contact me if you fancy a bit of networking!)

I suppose the latest illustrator I’ve come across is Murray Somerville.  He always seems to be busy working on projects and if you end up visiting a website with a call for submissions then you’re more than likely to find something from him!! His work rate and constant enthusiasm for illustration is nice boost after a long day working on a project.
What do you love most about what you do?  Probably the fact that I am able to constantly work with subjects that interest me. I remember a tutor telling us that, “What you put out there is what you’ll get back”. i.e. If you’re interested in city scapes and architecture (like me) then include that type of work in your portfolio and that is the kind of commission you’ll receive. It sounds simple but I’d never really thought of it that way before. It’s a way of guaranteeing that the work you’ll have coming in will interest you and keep you motivated. It’s rare to have a job that gives this kind of opportunity.


If you didn't do what you do what else would you be?  Working in Blockbusters?... I honestly don’t know....I have no plan B!


3 wise words to help new talent out there?   Exhibitions   Twitter   Blog


Andrew Joyce

www.doodlesandstuff.com

www.twitter.com

www.legionofdune.blogspot.com

www.flickr.com/photos/doodlesandstuff/


Thanks Andrew - wishing you every success for the future and look forward to seeing more of your amazing work! Cheers!